Background to the Sector Leadership Summit
In November 2015, Ara Taiohi was part of a sector leadership summit with approximately 40 chief executives of youth development organisations from across the sector. The summit was held at Motu Moana Scout Camp, and was facilitated by Nigel Kapa.
At this hui, a series of workshopped activities produced three clear priorities for sector development, defining the youth development sector, mapping programmes and services, and setting and maintaining youth development organisational standards.
There was also a clear mandate vested in Ara Taiohi, as peak body for youth development, to pursue these priorities.
The working group of chief executives who convened the summit became a working group of Ara Taiohi, and have met over the intervening months to support and guide our work toward achieving the priorities that have been set out.
With the help of financial support from DIA’s Community Leadership Fund and Youthtown we have made some extraordinary progress toward all three of the priorities, including the development of a mapping app, a collaborative project to strengthen self review and set and maintain high organisational standards for the sector. We look forward to sharing these with participants at March’s follow up summit here in Wellington.
Sector Leadership Summit
We are hosted a two day summit (21-22 March 2017) for youth development sector leaders who are members of Ara Taiohi in Wellington.
Throughout the summit we used the hashatags #youthdevelopment #sectordevsummit on our Facebook event and Twitter accounts in order to inform non-attendees.
Goals and Objectives of the Sector Leadership Summit:
- Informing and updating participants about the sector leadership journey so far, and the key projects that are underway
- Inspiring participants about the potential of Scope, a NZ YDI, and the mapping app for youth development and the projects
- Including and consulting with participants about how Ara Taiohi works toward realisation of strategic priorities through work with sector leadership
- Equipping sector leaders with inspiration, support and youth development tools to lead
Please find presentations from the summit below:
- Measuring Our Worth - Professor Robyn Broadbent, Victoria University, Melbourne, Australia
- Integrated Data Infrastructure - Phil Walker, Statistics NZ
- Youth2000 in the age of the IDI - Dr (Theresa) Terry Fleming, The University of Auckland, New Zealand