The Suicide Closet: - Effective suicide interventions for LGBTTIQA+ people Workshops
The social and psychological determinants that influence suicide risk in LGBTTIQA+ young people and specific issues workers must take Into account when supporting young LGBTTIQA+ who are suicidal.Christchurch, Auckland and Wellington Events & workshops Earlybird $195+GST Full $259 GST
Facilitator: Award winning and internationally respected suicide prevention specialist Barry Taylor and pioneer in LGBTTIA+ youth work in this country. Issues explored included intersection of sexuality and gender with culture, religion and socio economic background as well impact of social exclusion and minority stress.
- Suicide in LGBTTIQA+ people – What is it and how is it explained
- The role of social determinants in contributing to poor mental health outcomes and suicidality in LGBTTIQA+ people
- Not all the same - understanding age, gender and cultural differences in LGBTTIQA+ suicide
- Risk and Protective Factors for suicide in LGBTTIQA+ people – Additional considerations when undertaking suicide risk assessment in LGBTTIQA+ people
- Unconscious bias and heteronormative assumptions and the therapeutic relationship
- Intervention and support - Issues to consider when working with LGBTTIQA+ people experiencing suicidal ideation or behaviour.
- Suicide contagion in LGBTTIQA+ communities
- Evaluation of this workshop shows that attendance is of benefit for LGBTTIQA+ service providers and workers in mental health, addiction, primary health, social and community services, education, youth sectors.
Ara Taiohi Members Offer - 20% Discount off all registration fees At beginning of registration click on Enter Promotional Code and enter YouthDisc.
Christchurch, Wednesday 8 May, Quality Hotel Elms, 456 Papanui Rd, Christchurch
Auckland, Wednesday 16 October, Novotel Auckland Ellerslie, 72-112 Green Lane East
Wellington, Tuesday 22 October, Grand Mercure Wellington, 345 The TerraceFind out more