We are seeking founding members to join us in this pilot process to build a professional association for youth workers. Founding members will help us to test and evaluate the association’s processes and feed into the development of key components of the association. If you're keen to hear more information on founding membership check out our founding members page.
The pilot process will run through to Youth Week 2017 when we aim to launch the formal association. During this time founding members will have various opportunities to feed into the development of the professional association and receive leadership and professional development opportunities. We will go out for feedback from the wider sector with details of the association based on input from the founding membership. More details of these opportunities will be shared as they become available, sign up here to our regular email list to be receiving updates.
Founding members will have the opportunity to feed into:
- Developing the name of the association
- Testing a refining the application process
- The process of developing a complaints process
- Defining how to best staircase membership requirements over time
Founding members will have access to leadership and professional development opportunities such as:
- Ensuring your community has its say by participating in our 'Starfish' Hui in Wellington in November and then holding a focus group during Youth Work Week with your community
- Becoming a Champion on the journey to becoming an accredited trainer in areas that will eventually become entry or ongoing professional development requirements for members of the professional association for example Code of Ethics, rainbow competency, health literacy, restorative practice
- Participating in discussions about workforce development to support youth workers to become members of a professional association
- Putting yourself forward to be on a sub-committee of the association
A successful Starfish Hui was held in Wellington 1/2 November with over 90 founding members who wanted to be starfish and take the opportunity for engagement in the process back to their communities. These starfish are in the process of running focus groups and feedback from the Starfish Hui and these focus groups is currently informing next stages.
Take up the opportunity to become a champion- an accredited trainer- in areas that will eventually become entry or ongoing professional development requirements for members of the professional association including the Code of Ethics, Rainbow Competency, Health Literacy and Restorative Practice.
Work with key sector agents to determine what is needed to support youth workers to engage with the professional association and begin work on identifying the capability and competency needs of the future workforce.
We will run a trial of the application process with a group of founding members and incorporate feedback from the trial into the development of a final process for when we the professional association goes live in May.
Coming up in late Feb/early March we'll be sending around a survey to anyone and everyone keen to input into next stages of development of the professional association. This will be your chance to help shape our collective association. We're currently using feedback from the Starfish Hui and focus groups to develop a smart short survey that will give you the opportunity to have your say in the design of the professional association. Watch this space!
Proposed Membership Tiers
Proposed Membership Fees
Proposed Application Process