Rights: Now! - a primary school resource for children to learn about their rightsCommunity developmentEducationHuman rightsGuide/frameworkTool
All children in Aotearoa New Zealand have rights guaranteed under the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child (the Children’s Convention). These rights are intended to keep children safe, healthy and help them have a good life.
Rights: Now! was developed after working with children in Christchurch in 2017 on the redevelopment of the Ōtākaro Avon River Corridor. Children came up with all sorts of new and exciting ideas that made a real difference for the redevelopment of the area with the support of local organisation Regenerate Christchurch.
The resource has a specific focus on a child’s right to have their say, participate and be heard on issues that affect them.
The resource includes:
- Two lesson plans including hands-on activities
- Background information and resources
- A child friendly ‘Children’s Convention’ poster
- Opportunities for children to exercise their right to have a say in their world
- Support for teachers and facilitators